News & Events
CHRISTMAS FAIR; Sunday 26th November 2017, 11am to 3pm, FREE entry
Isfield's Frost Fair is a spectacular Christmas Fair and this year's event will be even bigger and better; local artists, crafts people and suppliers will create imaginative and very attractive stalls offering unique, locally produced gifts (knits, soft toys, ceramics, antique jewellery boxes and writing slopes, artworks, prints, jewellery, aromatic soaps and toiletries, chocolates etc.) and Christmas fare (cards, Christmas wreaths, table centres, decorations, Christmas tree ornaments, cheeses, fruit vinegars, curry mixes and chilli sauces, chutneys & jams, mustards, Christmas cakes & puddings, gift packs etc.). The fair will be a great success once again thanks to our wonderful stall holders and volunteers donating cakes and raffle prizes, offering teas and cakes, and running the raffle.
Launch of 'The Friends of Isfield Village Hall'
The closure of Isfield Preschool after 40 years in the village is a sad loss to the community which impacted Isfield Village Hall severely; Preschool's subsidised hiring fees amounted to 42% of our income last year, and has been a much higher percentage in previous years. This is a huge blow, but we are financially stable and expect to be able to meet our day-to-day running costs with the ongoing support of our users, by continuing to run our own events, and by monitoring our expenditure even more closely, because we have:
- Refurbished the hall completely in August; this was badly needed, is a great success and should last a good few years, keeping maintenance costs down,
- Increased our revenue by diversifying over the past three years; by undertaking extensive marketing to ascertain which activities would be successful and to promote them (as far as budgets allow) and by finding and nurturing providers (e.g. Wine Club, Art Group, Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates, Vintage dance classes, Floral workshops etc.) and also by holding our own events (e.g. Frost Fair, Open Day, Race Nights, Film shows).
The Friends of Isfield Village Hall is an important part of our initiatives to combat the loss of Preschool's subsidised hire fees as this initiative enables us to build up reserves for regular maintenance costs (e.g. floor, decoration) and to make more improvements in the future (e.g. to the toilets, including a disabled toilet).
The management committee ran a survey in the village to evidence the level of interest in our ideas and ensure viability. We received 55 survey responses which is a tremendous result; thank you to everyone who responded and gave us so many good ideas which we are now analysing. 54 responses strongly supported the need for the Village Hall, and 45 stated they would join 'The Friends of Isfield Village Hall' (one of the 5 responding 'No' has now joined the Friends). See the last item on this page to view the survey results.
Accordingly 'The Friends of Isfield Village Hall' was launched on 15th September by a mail drop throughout the village. We are proud and delighted to report that we have received very strong support across the whole community with many Friends joining and donating to our long term maintenance reserves for which we are very grateful. Friends continue to join, and we very much welcome all new Friends. Eventually we envisage running Friends' events (e.g. summer barbeques, Christmas parties) and setting up a Friends' Advisory Group to help us involve the wider community in setting Village Hall priorities. To join the Friends please email email@example.com to obtain a form.
Upcoming Events at the Village Hall
- Jane Will of Flowers & Daughters florist, Rotherfield is running her annual Christmas Wreaths workshop at Isfield Village Hall on Saturday morning 2nd December, 9.30am to 12.30pm. This is a wonderful opportunity to create your own unique and beautiful wreath from Jane's stunning selection of flowers, foliage, ribbons and decorations. Everyone who has been on this workshop cannot praise the selection and Jane's tuition enough. Cost is £50 including all materials, tuition, coffee/tea and homemade seasonal biscuits and there is a special offer this year; bring a guest (who is new to these workshops) and you will receive a £10 discount (the guest pays full price of course). We appreciate that £50 (and even £40) is a lot to pay but the event and the wreath you take away really are worth the price. For more details and to book your place please email Jane on firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Kathleen Cole dance teaching for children is based on NATD Contemporary Dance technique in a positive, relaxed atmosphere, with lots of fun built in. The principal is Hannah Kathleen Cole, who has been classically trained with the RAD method.She was also a member of The Young Place, home of London Contemporary Dance School, where she gained a wealth of experience as a performer and choreographer. Miss Hannah went on to train at The London Stage School in advanced ballet, tap and modern jazz. She taught in primary schools offering dance and performing arts tuition and then gained a Diploma in Contemporary Dance. She now enjoys combining these areas of expertise to offer dance classes to young people. Working with Miss Hannah is Miss Jennie, an experienced secondary school teacher and leader in English and the performing arts. Miss Jennie has worked in a variety of schools including an independent school where she was head of department for English and drama. Miss Jennie enjoys developing children's skills and confidence through the performing arts. There will be opportunities for dancers to perform and prepare for exams if they wish, but this is optional. Classes are held on Sunday mornings in Isfield Village Hall, 10am to 11am. Please email to book your free taster class.
- Isfield Wine Club which has built up a strong following, warmly welcomes new members. Meetings, held every other month, are relaxed and unpretentious - the next meeting is on Friday 17th November, 7.30pm to 9pm, and the subject is 'Similar wines-expensive v cheaper' and is an opportunity to gauge whether price makes a difference. Contact Keith Taylor for more details on 01825 749778.
- Helen of Brighton Boogie ('Fun vintage dance lessons and events') restarts her Tuesday evening classes, 7.30pm to 8.30pm on 7th November. Helen's classes for adults are very popular and a great way to get fit. Email Helen for more details and to register your interest, and take a look at her website.
- We are delighted to announce our first new weekday morning event - Thursday mornings, 9.30am to 10.25am, Pilates classes run by Medeana Findlay. We have been keen to attract a Pilates instructor to Isfield for some time, and visitors to the Village Hall Open Day in March will have met Medeana who had a stall to introduce her classes and gauge interest. Email Medeana on email@example.com to find out full details.
- Isfield Art Group: is a very friendly and supportive group of local amateur artists who meet every Thursday 2pm to 4pm at the Village Hall. We decide ourselves what each week's subject will be, we have visiting artists running master classes for us from time to time, if any of us want to pursue a particular medium or subject we can, and we welcome anyone who wants to join us. Contact Katherine by email on firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to join in.
- Andrea Kocache of Crowborough Tai Chi, a listed instructor with the Tai Chi Union of Great Britain, is running Monday afternoon sessions, 2-3pm. Please note that Andrea is happy for anyone to start Tai Chi with her at any time, integration guaranteed; there is no 'course' start date. In addition, Andrea informs us that Tai Chi is an internal art rooted in the healing, meditative and martial traditions of China which integrates relaxation, meditation, breathing and postural techniques, helps to develop/regain balance, promotes harmonious movement, improves suppleness of joints and muscles, improves coordination skill and stimulates the mind. Please register your interest by contacting Andrea on 01892 654585 or by email and take a look at the website.
- Isfield Dancing Club holds regular twice a month Wednesday evening sessions, 8-10pm, at the Village Hall, with occasional special event nights. This is a very enjoyable, relaxed evening and a great opportunity to learn and display your dancing skills. For more details please contact Ron Levett on 01825 750404.
Official Opening of the Renovated Village Hall
As custodians of a beautiful early 20th century building, the Village Hall management committee have carried out much needed major renovation and maintenance work during the August school holiday period this year; kitchen, toilets, full internal and external decorating, curtains repaired and rehung, new kitchen windows and floor maintenance. Village Hall Trustee, Ron Levett, ably assisted by his wife Margaret, has done an enormous amount of work that has saved us a lot of money, and has kept the whole project within budget.
The hall is looking magnificent, the best it ever has looked. To thank our generous donors to the renovations, local companies KPS Composting Services and Millwood Designer Homes, Isfield Parish Council, and the newly launched Friends of Isfield Village Hall and regular Users, long-term and new, for their support, we welcomed the village to take a look at what has been achieved in a relatively short time at the official opening of the renovated hall on 13th October.
This was a very happy and well attended event. Lynne Smith, Sales Manager of Millwood Designer Homes, opened the renovated hall saying that Millwood support community efforts wholeheartedly, and were delighted that so many residents of their development were already actively participating in events at the hall. Danny Smyth, Director of KPS Composting Services, sent his warm wishes and regrets that neither he nor Paul Smyth could attend 'this lovely event.' Peter Holmes, Secretary and Trustee, thanked our generous donors, the Friends and our Users. He also specially thanked Ron Levett, supported by his wife Margaret, for his tireless efforts project managing the renovations and also doing work to save us money. Father John Wall spoke the words of a hymn and blessed the hall, after which everyone enthusiastically joined in a (donated) champagne toast to the ongoing success of Isfield Village Hall.
2017 Village Hall Survey
Please select this link to view the results of the 2017 Village Hall Survey.