News & Events
ISFIELD FESTIVAL OF TALENT - ARTWAVE 2018
We are delighted and excited to announce that Isfield Village Hall is hosting an ISFIELD FESTIVAL OF TALENT exhibition on August 24th to 26th inclusive, as part of ARTWAVE 2018, in order to showcase the wonderfully creative artists we are fortunate to have in our local community and surrounding area. We are calling now for all artists wishing to exhibit artworks to request and complete an entry form by 30th April 2018; we are hoping that we will get a great response from our artists to this unique event and opportunity to exhibit locally. Please contact email@example.com to request an entry form which contains all the Terms and Conditions. Artworks can be offered for sale, if wished, but this is not mandatory. Then, if the entry is accepted, artists will be required to submit their (framed if a painting) artworks to the Hanging Committee (chaired by Peter Rigby, assisted by Adele Scantlebury, Peter Holmes and Katherine Meakin) by Saturday 18th August for the final determination of what works will be exhibited. The works will be hung on Thursday 23rd August. A Private View will be held on Thursday 23rd August, 7.30pm to 9.30pm, and all Friends of Isfield Village Hall will be invited to attend this event. Opening hours for the exhibition will be 11am to 6pm on Friday 24th and Saturday 25th August and 11am to 4pm on Sunday 26th August (exhibition closing at 4pm on the Sunday 26th for collection of artworks). Teas and home made cakes will be available to purchase and enjoy.
Upcoming Events at the Village Hall
- Helen of Brighton Boogie, who runs very popular vintage dance classes, started another course on March 6th, Tuesday evenings 7.30pm to 8.30pm. This started a week later than planned due to the bad weather. For more details please contact Helen on firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Jo McCormick, a qualified meditation teacher, accredited through the British School of Meditation, is offering two free 'taster' meditation sessions on Thursday evenings 5th and 12th April, 7.30pm to 9pm, as an introduction to her meditation course. If these sessions generate sufficient interest, Jo will run a 5 week course, costing £50 per person. Whether you are new to meditating or have a regular practice, this course will take you on a journey through meditation, from breathing meditations, mindfulness, meditation on the move and understanding some of the many benefits. It will help you to develop and maintain a practice of your own over time, if you choose. Just 10 minutes a day is all you need to obtain the benefits of meditation, no special equipment, just yourself and a little time. If you would like to attend the 'taster' sessions or if you are curious to find out more Jo would love to hear from you. Please email Jo on email@example.com or call her mobile 07762787584.
- We've had to change the date of our professionally run and very enjoyable Race Night fund raiser to 21st April 2018. The price per person of £12.50 includes 8 races, a £1 bet on the first race, a delicious buffet supper and a glass of wine. If you enjoy the thrills of racing, don't miss this event and bring your family, friends and teams along. For more information and tickets email Katherine on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Medeana Findlay's Pilates classes are so popular that she has started a second class which runs from 8.30am to 9.25am and the existing class from 9.30am to 10.25am, both on Thursday mornings. There are no classes on April 5th and 12th as it's the Easter break. Visitors to the Village Hall Open Day in March will have met Medeana who had a stall to introduce her classes and gauge interest. Email Medeana on email@example.com to find out full details.
- Isfield Art Group: is a very friendly and supportive group of local amateur artists who meet on Thursdays 2pm to 4pm at the Village Hall. We decide ourselves what each week's subject will be, we have visiting artists running master classes for us from time to time, if any of us want to pursue a particular medium or subject we can, and we welcome anyone who wants to join us. Contact Katherine by email on firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to join in.
- Isfield Wine Club which has built up a strong following, warmly welcomes new members. Meetings, held every other month, are relaxed and unpretentious - the next meeting is on Friday 16th March 2018, 7.30pm to 9pm; and the subject is "wines of Bordeaux". Contact Keith Taylor for more details and to book on 01825 749778.
- Andrea Kocache of Crowborough Tai Chi, a listed instructor with the Tai Chi Union of Great Britain, is running Monday afternoon sessions, 2-3pm. Please note that Andrea is happy for anyone to start Tai Chi with her at any time, integration guaranteed; there is no 'course' start date. In addition, Andrea informs us that Tai Chi is an internal art rooted in the healing, meditative and martial traditions of China which integrates relaxation, meditation, breathing and postural techniques, helps to develop/regain balance, promotes harmonious movement, improves suppleness of joints and muscles, improves coordination skill and stimulates the mind. Please register your interest by contacting Andrea on 01892 654585 or by email and take a look at the website.
- Isfield Dancing Club holds regular twice a month Wednesday evening sessions, 8-10pm, at the Village Hall, with occasional special event nights. This is a very enjoyable, relaxed evening and a great opportunity to learn and display your dancing skills. For more details please contact Ron Levett on 01825 750404.
Isfield Village Hall - Part-time Cleaner/Caretaker Vacancy
Julie Hall, who has been our cleaner/caretaker for many years, has left as she has a full-time job with a local preschool. Margaret Levett has stepped in to take care of cleaning while we continue to seek a new part-time cleaner/caretaker. Please see the attached for details of the job and how to apply, but note that the closing date in December no longer applies.
'The Friends of Isfield Village Hall'
The closure of Isfield Preschool after 40 years in the village was a sad loss to the community which impacted Isfield Village Hall severely; Preschool's subsidised hiring fees amounted to approximately 40% of our income in recent years. This was a huge blow, but we are financially stable and expect to be able to meet our day-to-day running costs with the ongoing support of our users, by continuing to run our own events, and by monitoring our expenditure even more closely, because we have:
- Refurbished the hall completely last August; this was badly needed, is a great success and should last a good few years, keeping maintenance costs down,
- Increased our revenue by diversifying over the past three years; by undertaking extensive marketing to ascertain which activities would be successful and to promote them (as far as budgets allow) and by finding and nurturing providers (e.g. Wine Club, Art Group, Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates, Vintage dance classes, Floral workshops etc.) and also by holding our own events (e.g. Frost Fair, Open Day, Race Nights, Film shows).
The Friends of Isfield Village Hall is an important part of our efforts to combat the loss of Preschool's subsidised hire fees as this initiative enables us to build up reserves for regular maintenance costs (e.g. floor, decoration) and to make more improvements in the future (e.g. to the toilets, including a disabled toilet).
The management committee ran a survey in the village to evidence the level of interest in our ideas and ensure viability. We received 55 survey responses which is a tremendous result; thank you to everyone who responded and gave us so many good ideas. 54 responses strongly supported the need for the Village Hall, and 45 stated they would join 'The Friends of Isfield Village Hall.' See the last item on this page to view the survey results.
Accordingly 'The Friends of Isfield Village Hall' was launched on 15th September 2017 by a mail drop throughout the village. We are proud and delighted to report that we have received very strong support from the whole community with many Friends joining and donating to our long term maintenance reserves for which we are very grateful. Friends continue to join, and we very much welcome all new Friends. We plan to hold Friends' events (e.g. private view at Artwave in August, Christmas party in December) and to set up a Friends' Advisory Group to help us involve the wider community in setting Village Hall priorities. To join the Friends please email Katherine on email@example.com to obtain a form.
2017 Village Hall Survey
Please select this link to view the results of the 2017 Village Hall Survey.